This article is about exercise in the morning. If I had to pick a single factor that I thought was most important in a successful exercise or weight loss program, it would be to exercise first thing in the morning – every morning! Some mornings, you may just be able to fit in a 10 minute walk, but it’s important to try to do something every morning. I have exercised most of my life and I noticed a distinct positive difference when I moved my daily routine to first thing in the morning. I do this fasted everyday and have done so for the last 5 years of my 40 plus, straight years of exercise. So why mornings? Here are some fun facts…
10 Reasons To Exercise In The Morning
1. Over 90% of people who exercise ‘consistently’, exercise in the morning. If you want to exercise consistently, odds are in your favor if you exercise first thing in the morning. This was one of the first things I noticed when i changed to mornings. Almost perfect consistency.
2. When you exercise early in the morning, it “jump starts” your metabolism and keeps it elevated for hours, sometimes all day and up to 24 hours! In other words you’re burning more calories all day – just because you exercised in the morning.
3. When you exercise in the morning you’ll be energized for the day! Personally, I feel a dramatic difference on days when I have and haven’t exercised in the morning.
4. Many people find that exercising in the morning regulates their appetite for the day. They make better food choices and they dont seem to be as hungry. I have found this true. Many people myself included say that it puts you in a “healthy mindset.”
5. If you wake up and exercise at about the same time every morning, your body’s endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that. Physiologically some wonderful things happen. A couple of hours before you wake, your body begins to prepare for waking up and for the exercise that it knows is coming and you benefit from that in several ways;
It’s much easier to wake-up as your metabolism and the hormones involved in activity and exercise begin to elevate while you’re sleeping. Hormones prepare your body for exercise by regulating blood pressure, heart rate, blood flow to your muscles. You feel more alert, energized, and ready to exercise when you do wake-up.
6. Habit creates and becomes something to look forward to. It’s time you can set aside to do something good for themselves – to take care of your mind, body and soul. Its a good time to think clearly, practice gratitude, make affirmations or prayers, plan your day and relax mentally.
7. Research has demonstrated that exercise increases mental acuity. On average it lasts four to ten hours after exercise! This sets you up for a fantastic day.
8. Exercise first thing in the morning is really the only way to assure that something else won’t push exercise out of your schedule. It seems to be true that when your days get hectic, exercise usually gets relegated to last and is often neglected.
9. If finding time to exercise is difficult and exercise is a priority just get up 30 to 60 minutes earlier to exercise. If you need to you can go to sleep a little earlier. Research has shown that people who exercise on a regular basis have a higher quality of sleep and therefore require less sleep!
10. Exercise creates more energy in you and allows you to do more with your day You’ll feel great so do it.
When do you exercise, do you even exercise? Comment below or join me and comment on Facebook