The Elements of Color Magick
“Color is the place where our mind and the universe meet each other.”
In magick colors represent a certain energy, goal, person (someone you’re working for) or a non-physical being (deity, spiritual force).
• The magickal color meanings highly resemble the psychological meanings.
• Magick uses the metal shades gold, silver and copper/bronze as colors too. Gold represents the Sun and matters of the Sun, silver the Moon and copper/bronze Venus.
• The elemental forces each have their own color.
Elemental earth deals with concrete, practical and material matters; your physical life on this planet, like jobs, houses, real estate, nature, fertility, healing, money, food. Earth-colors are dark green, black and brown.
Elemental fire represents the creative impulse, insights, self-assurance and energy to undertake matters; use it for success in undertakings, sexual love, strength, courage, sports, to win games and solve conflicts in your advantage. Red is the right color here.
Elemental water is about feelings and emotions, atmospheres and nurturing; the emotional part of love and relationships/partnerships, healing of emotional pain, medicine and treatment, receptivity, dreams, fantasy, acting, compassion. Suitable colors are soft blue and green.
Elemental air includes the mind, communication, flexibility and alteration; matters like education, counseling, traveling, inventing, changing, adapting. Blue tones and yellow are the colors.
Elemental spirit brings the power of unseen worlds; psychic abilities, inspiration, divination, dowsing, channeling, meditation, spiritual development. Spirit-colors are white and violet.
Always burn at least one white candle to symbolize and reinforce the contact with pure spirit. Elemental spirit. Angels. Gods of wisdom, divination and prophecy. Purification and cleaning on all levels, contact with higher self and spiritual helpers, (inner) peace, aura-healing, truth seeking, consecration, spiritual enlightenment, protection against negativity by raising your vibration, breaking curses, exorcism, meditation, divination, inspiration, clairvoyance, invoking spirits White can be a replacement for any other color your magick requires.
Elemental air. Deities for trade, travel, knowledge and magick.
Life-force, vitality, change, progress, contact, communication, trade, commerce, to persuade with confidence, joy, cheerfulness, learning, knowledge, mental clarity, concentration, memorizing, tests, speaking and writing, traveling, affirmation, visualization.
Gold. (Can be replaced by yellow) Sun-deities. Absolute authority, (self)confidence, creativity, perfection, solar energies, male energy, financial richness, investments, luxury, winning, worldly power, magickal power, overcoming bad habits/addictions.
Orange. Deities of good luck and fortune. Attraction, charm, kindness, encouragement, stimulation, optimism, success, abundance, prosperity, feast and celebration, energy, achieving business-goals, investments, success in legal matters.
Copper/bronze. Love-goddesses. Love and passion, for positive relationships in love, friendship and business, career promotions, negotiations.
Red. Elemental fire. Deities of love, passion, sexuality and war (to stimulate a healthy portion of assertivity). Great energy, courage, will-power, determination, speed, assertivity, aggression, masculinity, independence, physical strength, sports, competition, conflicts, health, sexual attraction and potency, love and passion, fertility.
Magenta. (Can be replaced by the combination of red and violet) Scorpio-energy. Magnetism, to attract or speed up things, extra power, when immediate action and great spiritual power are needed, life purpose, life path.
Pink. Love-goddesses. Softness and tenderness, romance, caring, nurturing, for children, youth, peace, friendship, femininity, emotional love, emotional healing.
Green. Elemental earth (dark green) and elemental water (blue-green). Nature- and fertility-deities. Mother-goddesses. Nature, fertility, growth, rejuvenation, recovering, healing, harvest and abundance, prosperity, harmony, balance, peace, hope, mother earth, home, herbal magick, plants and animals, counteract greed and jealousy.
Turquoise. (Can be replaced by yellow for the intellectual part, and green/copper for the social part) Aquarius-energy. Alterations, intellectual and intuitive insights, technique, inventions, originality, renewal, brotherhood, humanism.
Blue. Elemental water and elemental air. Deities of the sea, truth and wisdom. Peace and tranquility, calmness, truth, wisdom, justice, counsel, guidance, understanding, patience, loyalty and honor, sincerity, devotion, healing, femininity, prophetic dreams, protection during sleep, astral projection. .
Violet/purple. Elemental spirit. Gods of divination and prophecy. Angels. Psychic abilities, divination, counter-acting negativity/black magick, reversing curses, psychic healing, psychic power, inspiration, meditation, spirituality, spiritual power, astral projection, third eye, compassion, counter-acting depression.
Brown. Elemental earth. The planet-spirit Saturn. Stability, grounding, conservation, protection of household, family and pets, healing animals, finding lost objects, material constructions (buildings etc.), material increase, to make relationships solid, to increase decisiveness and concentration, attracting help in financial crisis.
Grey. Neutralizing negative influences, erasing or canceling situations, causing stalemates
Silver . (can be replaced by white or grey, depending on your magickal goal) Moon-goddesses. Female energy, cycles, rebirth, reincarnation, healing of hormonal imbalances, emotional stability, remove or neutralize negativity, intuition, dreams, psychic abilities and psychic workings.
Black. Elemental earth. Deities of the underworld. Repel/banish evil and negativity, protection, banishing, binding, breaking free from bad habits/addictions, deep meditation, opens up deep unconscious levels.
As you will notice some subjects are mentioned under several colors. Making your goal specific will help to choose the right color. For example: you wish to do a ritual for love. If your goal is passionate and sexual love: choose red; if your goal is soft love, like mother-child love, or friendship: take pink; if you strive for unconditional love: take white. This scheme is based on traditional color use, but it is not written in stone. Your intuition is still the best source in picking colors.
Astarte, Phoenician goddess of love and nature – Magickal use of colors
• Select appropriate colors for the altar setting of a ritual. An altar cloth in a certain color, colored paper as background, gemstones in suitable colors, flowers in a specific color, a vase and candlesticks in a certain color/material, the colors of your clothes, etc…Use your creativity and start focusing on your magickal desire while preparing your ritual.
• Burn colored candles.
• Draw your sigils, talismans and symbols in specific colors.
• Write down your prayers, affirmations, invocations with color pencils.
• Visualize colored light. First visualize white light in and around you, purifying/protecting you and your sacred space. Next imagine yourself being filled up with the desired color (or colors, one by one), entering you through your crown chakra. Then breathe or direct this colored energy into your visualized magickal goal. Repeat this until it feels sufficient. Finish with again bringing white light in and around you.
• Another way of using colored light: start the ritual with visualizing white light first, followed by light in the color you need; perform your ritual, and when it’s time to send the energy into your goal: send it into a beam of colored light.
• When working for persons it can be very helpful to have their photograph, or piece of paper with their full address, in a colored envelope or colored bag or so. During the ritual you take the photograph – or address – out of the envelope and hold it between your hands, meanwhile visualizing the colored light entering the person. After the ritual put the photograph back in the envelope and leave it on your altar, allowing it to absorb more colored energy. (Do the ritual on 3 successive days and leave the envelope there for another 7 days, or 21 days in serious cases.)
• Colors have healing qualities
• Last but not least: you can influence the atmosphere in your surroundings by conscious color use.
Authors Details: Color Magick Elements – Anja Heij – Unknown Web Site